Thinking to take a break from Zürich and to discover the Berner Oberland ? Gstaad is the best option. Trying to share a few tips to enjoy your stay there !
How to reach :
– train could be an option, but obviously, car is much more convenient and direct (approx 3h30)
Where to stay:
If you want to treat yourself , the must-go hotel is obviously the Palace. Other luxury hotel include: the Grand Bellevue, the Alpina, the Grand Hotel Park. More family – oriented and very cosy: the Gstaaderhof, Hotel le Grand Chalet and Hotel Arc-en-Ciel.
Where to ski:
There is a large choice of ski slopes for all levels. You can find all the useful informations on this link ! The only inconvenient is that you need a car to reach the gondola departure.
A must is the black slope of Wasserngrat and to break for lunch at the exclusive Eagle club. the Eagle Ski Club organizes regularly slalom races.
However the good point there is that Gstaad is very lively in winter as in summer. You would probably love to attend the unmissable Hoblot Polo Cup the 13-16 August 2015.
What to do:
- cultural activities may include to visit the Chalet Balthus at La Rossinière, where the famous painter lived with his family. Regularly, Vernissages are organized in one of Gstaad’s en vue art galleries (Bel Air Fine Art, Galerie Tournemine, Patricia Low Contemporary…).
- shopping: all the luxury and fashion shops are located on La Promenade, in the heart of the village. You may want to discover the local art craft of Découpage, buy the local cosmetic Jardins des Monts, or buy fresh product at the very chic fine food grocery Pernet.
- Good restaurants: the Chesery Gstaad, le Grand Chalet, l’Arc en Ciel, Basta or Gildo’s for an italian dinner, or the very local and charming Café du Cerf in Rougemont
- Clubs& Bar: the most bling bling bar is undoubtedly the piano bar “one million stars” of the Ermitage hotel in Schönried; the Rialto for an aperitivo, the more casual T-Bar, the cigare lounge of Le Grand Bellevue, the Greengo is the nightclub located in the Palace (dressed up and expensive. You’ll appreciate the swimmingpool near to the dancefloor) – and last the clubs of the Alpina Hotel and the Club Room at Le Grand Bellevue
You now know all the places and things to do to enjoy your week-end in Gstaad and around !